CAR INSURANCE SOLUTION

Mum had car insurance premium slashed AFTER an accident – here’s how you could do it

Crash-for-cash victim lost her no claims bonus and faced higher insurance premiums. But Elaine Lancashire turned to a black box policy to cut her annual bills and make her a safer driver


CRASH-FOR-CASH scams are big business and it's often seen as a victimless crime.
But the driver being targeted will often lose their no claims bonus and see insurance premiums soar the following year.

 Elaine saw her premium slashed despite losing no claims bonus in crash-for-cash scam


Elaine saw her premium slashed despite losing no claims bonus in crash-for-cash scam

That doesn't have to always be the case, though.
Elaine Lancashire, 40, saw her premium actually go down the year after a crash because she signed up for a black box policy.
Elaine, from Royton, near Rochdale, lost her no claims after she slammed her Peugeot 108 into the back of another car at the traffic lights.
The driver in front slowed to turn before setting off and then slamming on the brakes - a classic crash-for-cash ploy.

 Elaine's Peugeot 108 was damaged and third party claimed whiplash injuries
PEUGEOT

Elaine's Peugeot 108 was damaged and third party claimed whiplash injuries

But an investigation couldn't prove the third party was driving erratically and Elaine's insurer had to stump up for whiplash injury payouts.
At renewal, Elaine - a support worker in a school for children with special needs - was facing a hefty premium with a crash on her record and zero no claims discount.
But after shopping around she found a Coverbox policy for £662 that required her to have a free telematics box fitted with the promise of reductions if she drove well.
Elaine, who has 20 years of driving experience, said: "I like to think I'm a good driver so I thought this could lower my premium, as advertised on the site."

What is a black box?

Telematics insurance policies - also known as black boxes - are a great way for young drivers to cut premiums.
They use GPS tracking data to know where, when and how fast you're driving.
For 17 to 20 year olds, fitting a black box can save an average of £202 a year on car insurance premiums.
The policies are often tied up with an app that provides a feedback score at the end of a journey.
Drive safely and score well and you can be rewarded by even cheaper premiums in the future or other rewards.
And it proved successful as her premium was cut by 30 per cent to £463 after she racked up a series of good scores.
She said: "I'm definitely aware of the blackbox being in the car, and it makes me think about how I'm driving.
"I look at my speedometer more than I used to, and I'm careful not to speed.
"Since having a blackbox I accelerate and brake more smoothly, and leave a big gap while driving, especially on the motorway so I have more room and time to slow down smoothly.
"I think it definitely makes you a safer driver, and I'll keep a blackbox in my car even once I build up my no claims again."

Source : thesun.co.uk